The Newton Arboretum & Botanical Gardens is managed by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. This means we are completely dependent on donations, grants, and volunteers to preserve and grow for future generations. No tax dollars are used for our support.
Countless hours are of work and care are put into the grounds to create a spectacular space for community enjoyment.
Because we are community supported, the arboretum is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment. We want ALL guests to have an amazing experience.
Please remember the Arboretum is home to many kinds of plants. It is their nature to be seasonal; so not all of our plants may be obvious. To protect the gardens and to ensure all enjoy their visit, please follow these rules:
- Stay on pathways and mown lawn areas.
- Keep out of/off mulched or planted gardens beds.
- Bikes, scooters, skates, and strollers must remain on paved trails.
- Children must be supervised.
- No climbing on trees, shrubs, sculptures, or structures.
- Do not feed or handle the wildlife.
- Neither people nor pets are allowed to wade, swim, net, or fish the ponds or streams.
- Pets are welcome but MUST be on a leash.
- Please pick up after your pets. Waste stations have been provided throughout the grounds.
- Do not litter. Dispose of trash/waste in the provided trash receptacles.
- Do not remove seeds, flowers, plants, and/or labels.
- Do not move benches, planters or outdoor structures.
- The Arboretum is a tobacco-free environment. This includes e-cigarettes, cigars and vape devices. Do not use these products while on Arboretum grounds.
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics of any type are prohibited.
*Visitors are liable for any damage to property and grounds.
*We reserve the right to ask a visitor to leave.
We cultivate a beautiful landscape perfect for photography! Photographers, we welcome you! Please follow all the listed rules and be courteous to other visitors. Do not block paths or features.
We encourage you to share nature & candid photos from the gardens on social media using the hashtag: